View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I recommend shopping for an Outback that is relatively new. There are steady upgrades every year or two that are nice to have.

The trade-off is price. With each passing year, expect this to be reflected in the price. Newer kayaks are easier to resell.

The year of the kayak is the last two digits of the serial number inscribed by the back hatch.

Condition is important too. You don't want to buy things that have to be fixed ... not if that can be avoided.

UV takes it's toll. I would not buy a kayak that looks sun-faded. Find a kayak that has been stored inside, and from someone who takes care of their things.

The plastic is soft and can get shredded on rocks. Flip it over and inspect the hull carefully.

Appearance of low mileage and little use. There are many people who buy a kayak on an impulse, then never use it. There are also people who get excited with buy-itus and blow a lot of money that can not be recouped upon resale. Lucky you.

Turbo fins and a large rudder are important to me.

Smooth operation of the control strings.

Undamaged Mirage pedal assembly. Those are about $500 to replace.

It's nice to have stronger wheels over the cheaper ones that fall apart easily.

The more things you get with the kayak, the better. Everything is expensive to buy separately, but often is not reflected in a proportionately higher price when you get it as a package. Sell off what you don't want to offset the purchase price.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-01-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote