View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Mission accomplished.....sun up to sundown

I decided to slip down to halbut fish the big bay before the 6 day for casted rain. I launched at shelter island boat launch and put two poles out, one for bait, and one setup with the bounce ball flasher rig, with a purple and black jig, which I caught an angel shark on last year. low tide was going to be around 7am. I started bounce balling west with an outgoing tide,it wasn't long before the first mackerel only one I put it in my bait tube and kept on metering with my graph and bound ballin west.Just shy of the bait receiver I see movement on my bait rod...holy mackerel a full gangon...of junior mac's....greenbacks that is. No luck on the bounce ball rig so I put it away. With all the mackerel I need in my bait tubes I start fishing the bottom with a trap rig three way swivel 5 oz torpedo wt 20lb florocarbon . I am at the bait receiver and I see an aircraft carrier coming up the bay 3/4 of a mile away and I am heading to the Coronado side south of the bay so I cross the channel as fast as I can go. It was a spectacular view. With just a trolling motor with oars it was pretty much fishing all the way out and all the way back. No telling where a big flatty.....will show up. I only got bit on the junior mac twice one being a rake job and one being a 30 in halibut which went ballistic and bounced off the gaff after the hook was in it, tangling my pole into other poles but i was able to free my line up and get a second chance to gaff again,game clip on.... happy inauguration day to ya.....Peace out.
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 01-19-2017 at 07:33 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote