Thread: new member
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipino_angler View Post
hi everyone, new member here. i just want to get some tips and advice on how to fish on a kayak. i also want to learn the safety while kayak fishing. thank you in advance.
Welcome! You came to the right place. Not to be redundant, but what the other guys said is all solid. Read a ton here. Watch Youtube. Get a Hobie. But certainly get on the water ASAP. Start somewhere simple like Mission Bay or Oceanside. San Diego bay is good (If not excellent) also. Certainly hit those locations before La Jolla (Unless you head out with a buddy). Get out a few times. Toy around with a lite rod/reel setup.

I have been doing this for just a year and am by no means any form of expert. I started by hiring a guide (Good, educational, but not necessary in any form). But each trip, I tweak my methods, loadout, setup slightly due to lessons learned.

First lesson I learned: Secure your gear! Even your poles. I have a leash for each. Even in the bay you can flip and anything not secured will sink or float away.

Second lesson is have good clothing. Something UV protected every inch of you. Fast wicking is good since you WILL get wet and really dont want to stay wet. I even wear surfing booties that zip up to protect my feet. You get burned FAST out there, or at least I do. Sun comes from above just as much as from the water.

Third lesson, try everything. Different lures, bait, rigging, locations, retrieves. I have seen nothing work 100%. Fish are moodier than a woman.

Above all, enjoy yourself and be safe. Even if I dont catch anything, I really enjoy simply being out there and listening to the waves and birds... chase the birds!

Oh yeah... Ask questions. Even the stupid questions.. Especially the really stupid questions.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote