View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Jim,
You can probably relate since you fish the area. Went from Redondo 1/2 days (City of, and Special) to full day on the Pursuit (even pin-headed when I was 11), all in the very early 70's. About the same time did the rental skiff in Redondo bay for wide open bonehead bites (+mackeral). My buddy and I also fished his 8' rowboat in the bay for the same. Graduated to yellowtail and albie fishing on sportboats off of San Diego, by the time I was 16. About the same time, I also, managed a 24lb King salmon on the City of Redondo, when an incredible year had both bluefin and salmon biting for months in the canyon, not very far from the harbor mouth, remember that bite? Continued the partyboat scene for 25+ years. Then found my true love, the kayak. I had heard from some fishermen/surfers about them taking their long-board out for both hali's and WSB. But, until I started kayak fishing, I didn't know what I was missing out on.
Since I started yak fishing, I haven't been on a 1/2 day or 3/4 day party boat. I still enjoy the overnight tuna trips on party boats, a whole hell of a lot. But, if tuna ever became retarded and were within paddling range, I'm sure I'd rather do the yak thing to get 'em. Ain't gonna happen though, so I'll continue to shell out a couple hundred bucks to get those bad boys.
Aaron