View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #31
surfnutnj

red yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Yeah well... Though that was from a recent article it was hardly a new concept.

Actually when I get some time though I will read up on their research.

Past studies have shown that sharks have both rod and cone photoreceptors in their eyes, which would suggest they could see color in some manner, but studies have shown that their vision seems to be set up to enhance the contrast of targets silhouetted against a background, or more technically that the cones are specialized for contrast over wide range color perception.

This specialization though is not anything new as I could find you papers about it that are more then fifty years old. That is why I kept talking about color in relation to how it contrasts to it's background. Sharks eyes key on contrast.

That said: I did find your post interesting. especially this part which is about roughly half of the sharks they studied.

[/FONT][/I]

You may not know this but the long-wavelength colors that those specialized cone photoreceptors are keyed for are yellow orange and red.

So though ten out of seventeen sharks species they studied did not perceive color so much as contrast those that did had eyes set up for enhanced yellow orange an red perception, at least that is what I got on a quick glance over.

Jim
sooooo.....anyone want to buy a RED Tarpon 120?

J/K...hopefully the tax man does not try to eat me while I am fishing. If he does at least I died doing what I love to do. (not driving to work) I always say that.
surfnutnj is offline   Reply With Quote