View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
summers in kuwait

6-10-17 La Jolla

So looking at the forecast, the weather wasn't looking ideal that morning, but it was my only day free and I figured I could get an early morning session in.
I met my buddy Brian at the launch and took a couple waves to the headlamp, but punched through fine.

Bait was pretty good at first light and I filled the tank with nice medium sized greenbacks. I spent the early morning at 60-90 ft, boxing the inside off the kelp and then decided to head west with some bird activity. I continued flylining and headed south. I was in 110 ft and saw some larger marks, so I quickly tied on a dropper loop and sent it down. As soon as it hits the bottom, my MXJ starts screaming.

At first lines peeling off towards the kelp, then... it breaks the surface.

I was just talking with Chad about that thresher bite we had last year. Anyway, I decided I was going to harvest it, but I knew it was going to be a long day with the weather. So I took it nice and slow and he came up a few times. After towing me a mile or two north and out to 260 ft. I buttoned it down and finally kept it at the kayak.

I called over Brian for the assist and he secured the tail. I pulled the line in and noticed the hook in the pectoral fin. I have had the tail before, but that added to the fight. I quickly dispatched and bled. I tried hoisting him up, but it wasn't happening for me.

So I wrapped the tail again and began the slow ride in with some tracking help from Brian. I had plenty of time to think about my landing strategy and by the time we came in the surf had built a little and filled in with the tide. After timing the last set, I pumped in with the fins, jumped out and grabbed the bow, rope and dragged them both ashore.

As the masses gathered I got the truck, snapped some pics and got the shark on ice.

When I got home, I was barely able to get it out of the damn truck by myself, but then made quick work out of it with the saw and knife. Amazing steaks and some fillets all vac/sealed and ready to go.

This fish will be celebrated and enjoyed and I can't wait to prepare this dish!

Cheers and happy father's day to all the dad's out there!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote