View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
The pelican

Making Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
I've heard yes and no on bait fish inside the buoy. So we are OK to drop a sabiki in there on the way out to the grounds?

There's the Matlahuayl State Marine Reserve, which you launch into from La Jolla Shores. That's a no go zone for fishing of any kind. Once you head far enough west, you'll be good to fish. I imagine you're asking about the San Diego-Scripps Coastal State Marine Conservation Area when you ask about making bait on the way to the grounds. That's north of the shores and you can catch certain baitfish there. If you need to make bait and the normal spots aren't working, consider heading north (but check to make sure you're legal) to pick up some macs. You may be challenged by the lifeguards telling you that its illegal, but my expirience is that many of them are confused. I had a lifeguard this summer tell me I was wrong and he was calling DFG. He claimed you're only allowed to use barbless hooks and fly fish in the San Diego-Scripps SMCA, which isn't true. If you know the rules and you're polite when questioned, you'll be fine.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/scmpas_list.asp

Pat
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote