View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
MrPukaShell

Damn Fish Ruined our Plans

Spent a week camping at Refugio State Beach. One of the days we planned to paddle from Gaviota back to Refugio. We drive up the and start to set up and I see no paddle. I head back to cam while mu buddy gets some intel. He talks to some folks on the beach and they said that there were some fish in the Mariposa area. I get back and we finish setting up and make the launch. We start our paddle down and start metering bait in front of Mariposa in 60' of water. We sabiki up some bait and send it down. My buddy hooks up first and radios over to me that he is wrapped in some loose kelp. I have some bait out and I start making it over to him. Just as I reach him my line goes off so he is on his own. After a tense moment at gaff I secure an 18lb Halibut. Get my fish under control and on the stringer. By this time my buddy is about 200 yards away and says he is caught in the rocks or something and gives some slack. Next thing I hear is some yelling so I head his way. As we meet up I see a huge WSB across his lap. We try to get back on the bait but a big bait boat swoops in and starts circling around. Next thing I know he is dropping off the boat and net and wraps the school. We decide to head back to Gaviota to process our catch. We will make that trip some other day, damn fish. Back at camp we weigh the fish, Halibut 17, 10. White Sea Bass Pegs the 50 LB scale. Who knows how much but I can tell you it covered the tailgate of his full size Nissan and was thick.

Tight Lines....

Tight
Attached Images

MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote