View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
FISH11

I had to start reading the post to make sure Jorge, that you were talking about kayak fishing, LOL. It doesn't matter if I'm using my Hobie Revo 13 or my Malibu X Factor and paddling. I prefer on top facing forward and to point the rod near the bow to keep the kayak from rocking too much, especially when the fish likes to take off in a different direction. Large Yellows and Threshers love to take off to the side and if your rod is to the side, then it make for some quick body reaction and leaning to the opposite side to keep the kayak from possibly rolling. I know if you're on a PA that provably is not a problem. By having the rod to the bow I can put much more pressure on the rod, to tire out the fish. I usually start gaining line on the port side and by having the rod near the bow, the kayak always follows the fish. I get the gaff ready on deck. Once on top of the fish, I wait till I see color and move the tip of the rod to the starboard side, because I prefer using my right had to gaff and pull in the fish.