View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
isghj
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
This tool may help too. Depending on the hole size.
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-...ds=pipe+reamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'd hit it with a quick torch and soften the edges.
Oh reamer, had trouble looking up the tool without the name, much obliged.

I'll give melting a shot as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I'd go with the scent, sound, and electro out put of a struggling bait as the shark attractors. The only toxic fish we have locally is the sculpin (California scorpion fish). They're bottom dwellers and criptic camo. Doubt the HH would cross paths with a sculpin. Many toxic Fish are brightly colored, often with contrasting stripes. And many creatures avoid those colors. Maybe a color pattern similar to a sea snake? Sharks have small brains and most of that brain is dedicated to scent detection and body control. Sharks learning to look at humans for food is unlikely. Boats and fishing boats in particular produce shark attracting stimuli. Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
paint it like a barber pole, yellow and black stripes, it might look like a water snake and it will be easy to find if it comes off the boat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelamis_platura this guy? Might try this if I can get a yellow color similar enough.

I dropped the skulpin from consideration since the pattern is pretty chaotic, not sure I could reproduce something that detailed myself.

I wasn't sure if there was anything I could do about scent on the tube, like carrying a pack of something foul to dump on his head or something to shoo him away like a squid would use ink. Putting smell on the tube might bother the bait and might linger on my hands/fingers, tainting lures, seems like a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave View Post
What do you paint a PVC tube with anyway?
I don't know, I just assumed I could buy a can of spray designed for "plastic", saw some in homedepot years ago. I've never used it before, though.

Google says "solvent" or acrylic based paints work fine on ABS, but there's a brand or two that specializes for plastic, and primer allows for wider options.

No idea what lasts longest in salt water with sun exposure, haven't found a consensus there yet.
isghj is offline   Reply With Quote