View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Hunter (The 80's Man)

My style of babysitting...

Actually, my wife says it's not babysitting when it's your own kid. So, I took my youngest, Jeremiah (age 3) to Irvine Lake. The morning started off early at 3:30 a.m. I woke up and immediately started pondering the layers of clothing and what we would need for the day's adventure. Anticipating my own needs is one thing, trying to satisfy the needs and mind of a 3-year-old confined to a tank well is a entirely different dilemma. Snacks, drinks, snacks, toys, snacks, drinks, snacks, change of clothes... I tried thinking of it all, over and over. I wanted this day to go smoothly, and for the most part, it did.

We got to the lake about 5 a.m. and quickly took our place in line. We only had a half hour to wait until the gait was open, where we could get to the bait shop for a hot chocolate (the first form of 3-year-old entertainment). So, we sat in the truck and went over fishing technique. In 3-year-old terms, I tried to explain about drag, when to reel, when not to reel, how to hold his pole. I could see the excitement on his face. So, we got our drinks and waited the last half hour in the dark and cold amongst all the other fisherman milling around outside their cars.. lying about the one that got away. I could see it on Jeremiah's face, soaking it all up. He really felt like big stuff.

In no time the gate was open, the kayak was off the truck, and we were underway. I packed the pouch on the rear of my seat with all his stuff and told him he could help himself, which he did almost immediately (starting with the food). I threw out Rapalas on each of our rods and started paddling up the west bank. We made one pass, the length of the lake, and then hooked up on his rod... perfect.

He handled the fish like a pro. It was me that was the rookie with missed underwater footage, and net shot. With one on the stringer I felt instant relief.

I had accomplished the minimum goals I had set for the day. My son had hooked up and I got film to share with family and friends. We caught one more just before we had lunch on our own private island. It was a good day filled with lots of smiles, laughs and about every 10 seconds a "Hey dad!".

Now that's babysitting...

Here's a link of our day in fast-forward I thought you'd enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk87vDa0rcY

Rob

Last edited by lambadmin; 11-21-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: embed video
Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote