View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
ProfessorLongArms

First up, thanks for the input and the snark
Kind of a simplistic thread, but I appreciate the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
You have a snug top, type cover correct? If so take it off and put a rack on it. Sounds like you already have a great vehicle for hauling your kayak around.

With that said, a newer 4 runner would be nice...
Yeah... on that one, I like being able to load up my truck and lock it the night before since I'm in the truck at 4am trying not to wake the wife. Been playing with a few ideas on rod storage (though I could just leave them in the house and carry them out the door with me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Im confused. You’re currently driving a Tacoma but you are looking at Tacoma’s? Are you simply looking for a 4 wheel drive vehicle? If you like the Tacoma’s, Ditch your two wheel drive truck and buy a 4x4 Tacoma. Great baja vehicle.
Yeah this is probably where I'm headed. I've put 60k miles on this tacoma and it's damn near bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
I'd caution against the xterra for roof height alone. I had one for a few years and it did everything I ever asked of it, but getting the yak on the roof was a pain. I drive a 2011 4wd ford escape and it's been low maintenance tows small and medium trailers fairly well, has easily roamed the beach at Makoville, even surprised people by how well it did on the sand and taken me into moderately difficult trails in the sierras and east coast. Ground clearance becomes an issue at some point though.
Good to know on the Escape for offroad. I've long been wary of American made cars, but I loved my Mazda version (Tribute) before it was totalled in an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I have a 4runner myself, and I have to say that anything outside of a pickup truck is not that ideal for hauling a kayak. Overhead lifting a decent ocean kayak comes with challenges. It limits what kind of kayak you can have, you sure as hell aren't putting a PA up there. To top it, lifting overhead you get tons of sand and saltwater all over the car and have to have all kinds of roof rack additions. To top it you're risking dinging the car. Also it's not ideally aerodynamic for long road trips to have kayaks on the roof.

But it's sure damn nice to have all that interior room for stuff, locking things away and even sleeping in when camping.

Pickup truck, a simple T bar and you're good to haul 2 kayaks. No overhead lifting, all the gear can be stored in the bed and keep all the sand as well. Easy to 1 man it.
Also good to know. One thing I noted when looking at 4runners is how far back the roof bars sit because of the sunroof. I don't mind throwing my yak on the roof and I'll likely go no bigger than my Outback.... But I'm young yet You make a good point about Saltwater though... I remember seeing Jim Sammons strongly endorse trailering because there's *no* getting around eventual body rust from throwing a kayak on the roof all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Up, Down, Left, Right, Dead up the Center - it's all worked for me fine since 2001. 335,000 miles and day after tomorrow heading back down to San Ignacio Lagoon again. Yes - it's a diesel. Whatever you get - get the 8 foot bed and with the tailgate down my PA14 (or My Solo Skiff) only over hangs three and a half feet, so no further contraptions required other than a red flag.

Yeah.... I might have gotten a bit of drool on your truck down in Baja looking at all of your customization Problem with the current truck is that it sits so low, the bed extender scrubs super easy.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote