View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
The outback is a better fishing machine imo. You may also check out the other options are the market outside of Hobie. I bought an outback at the end of winter and I kind of regret not looking further into the other peddle drive offerings on the market (i.e. the old town predator, etc.), A couple of my buddies have them and they look rad. The instant reverse is money when we are rock fishing/structure fishing.

If it's a lock between the outback and the compass, I think the outback is the more comfortable platform. I looked into a compass and in order to do everything I wanted to do with it I was going to be in the hole an additional few hundred bucks. Those little side areas on the outback for tackle boxes and the larger center hatch really are very handy. And the molded in "trays" along the gunnel are convenient for putting your stuff when moving or rigging.
I have the out back predator pdl carried on a trailer and it is a beast but I carry it fully loaded. I put boondox on it to help me move it and I'm designing a front dolly so I can pull it without supporting all the weight. It would help if the boon dox actually carried the load under the seat instead of so far back. It rolls nice but most of the weight is forward of the wheels. I'm seventy one so car topping is no longer an option, also my truck is a 4x4 Ram 3500, too high for this old man. If I go by myself I have a slide in rack for the 8' bed that does great and I only have to lift my yak about 4' to the tailgate. I'm looking forward to my first La Jolla trip on it.