Thread: LJ 7/11
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
taggermike

Don't think I've casted a 530. Most of the older classic jig sticks had softer actions, parabolic and bent almost all the way down to the reel. Cast almost like loading a heavy fly rod. Those rods are older E glass. Uluas are S glass which is lighter and stiffer. Not as much as graphite but more than E glass. They cast "faster" more like graphite casting rods. More of a load and snap rather than a slow load, wait a second, than launch. Both cast the same distance but the feel and timing is different. I prefer the faster feel. Uluas are a bit parabolic but shut off closer to the tip. This moves the main lifting part of the rod further from your center if gravity. Harder on you and unbalancing on a yak. My attitude about long rod surface iron fishing is actual fish fighting ability is a distant second to casting. As you might be able to tell I'm kinda insane when it comes to jig sticks. It is my absolute fav fishing style. Jig stick style is a so cal original and has a great history and evolution here. I lived for a year in the outer banks of North Carolina and worked with hard core anglers and charter boat skippers and none of them had ever even heard of light/surface irons. The only long rod fishing they knew was surf casting. I showed them a tady 45 and they thought it was a joke. Hope this helps if you made it to the end. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote