View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

First La Jolla trip

9/6/2018

It's been mostly bottom fishing up in Malibu, so I had been meaning to plan a Summer trip to LJ for a while. Launched shortly after first light. I can see why this is such a popular spot.

First of all, I love your shore break. Nice, long and low. I was able to wade out about waist deep with my hand on the bowline, jump in, and power through one small breaker.

Big up to Mr Nice Guy for some solid advice.

My standard sabiki rig wasn't really cutting it in the kelp,(though I pulled in maybe 4-5 tiny 3-4" spanish doing random drops) Having seen Nice guy's post a few times I dragged a larger setup on a 30# main and a 6x junior for a weight headed out to the bump. Loaded the whole thing with 8" greenbacks about 3 times. Highly recommended technique.

Nice overcast day on the water. Wind was ripping. Pushed down to the one and a quarter spot within an hour, and felt like slow motion getting back. Spent most of the day just working back up against the swell.

Caught one really nice Calico on the flat fall around the 3/4 spot.

Had and missed a couple of shots at what felt like YT. I'm still getting through the learning curve of "letting them eat".

Out on San Clemente this year, I kept tightening my drag too quickly. This time on both hits I deliberately gave a good bit of line before engaging, but popped loose after about a minute of fighting. Using ringed Gorilla hooks. Starting to question some early advice I got from a PB captain about not setting the hook like a bass fisherman but just cranking steady.

The majority of my bait was robbed by dogs. I can see why you folks complain about them so much. I had one follow my stern for a good half hour waiting for me to drop another bait at one point.

A+ on scenery.
Those hills are just gorgeous and I can see why they call it the jewel.

Assuming the ocean hasn't caught fire by then, I could see myself retiring down near there.

Totally worth the drive, and will definitely be back.

Also huge thanks to Levi for being such a nice guy.

Cheers,
Spencer

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 09-07-2018 at 09:36 PM.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote