View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
FISH11

Congrats, on making good bait. For some time, that alone has been one of the biggest problems. Since about this time last year things at LJ have not been what I experienced the previous 4 years. Very few yellows, not much kelp and lack of bait fish in the area. I believe that all of those are related. The higher the water temp, the less large fish. That is not what most of us would expect. Some yellows are caught but I think this last year has been more about being at the right place at the right time and day. I'm looking forward because in the last 5 years, I have caught most of my yellows between Oct. and May. Try using circle hooks 2/0 or 3/0 with the clicker and only as much drag as it takes to keep the bait from constantly making the clicker go off. Once a yellow takes it grab the rod count 4 to 5 second and just tighten the drag to strike with the rod pointing in the direction of the fish. The yellow will hook itself and now the fun begins. Thanks for sharing and better luck on your next trip to LJ.