Thread: First timer
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
2-Stix

That fly looks like a Clouser Minno. Great for steelhead and big strippers. I would fish that streamer a lot as a kid because it was a lot more fun that nymph fishing tough shallow rivers with rocks and weeds in Mammoth and the Western States.

Welcome to the sport with the most gadgets ever. Its really funny how the freshwater guys get fired up on the salt for the shot at big fish and the seasoned salt guys end up on the fresh as some point. Both such a different experience. Fresh offers a lot of interesting locations to fish. But hardly fish over 5#. You will find a lot transfers over between the two types of fishing. Flyfishing on rivers can get extremely challenging and makes salt look like a walk in the park. The challenge is unbelievable fun. If your interested in the fresh part of it, my Dad is a flyfishing guide, teaches classes, has a great small book on the basics. He's unreal. Taught me everything I know. I ride his coattails. Hit me up if you need info.

Great stuff none the less! Get some! Change out that Bass hat for a Orvis hat. Ha.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 03-14-2016 at 11:59 AM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote