View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
blitzburgh

Newport 07-09-17

Apologies for the late report. Got to the launch at the CGS around 6:20a and ended up meeting a fellow BWE'r Joey (jbl_91762). We were both curious about how accurate the forecast would end up being as the past couple of trips were slightly off. Last I checked, wind was supposed to be 7 - 12mph and swells at 2-4'. Swell was pretty accurate but the wind was wrong with only a minimal breeze, almost wished it was closer to 12 because it was FRIGGIN' HOT. Started off the day searching for new stones and structure. I was in about 280' when some Terns started working a good size ball of chovies being pushed around, about 100' away from me. Booked it over and started launching a Flat Fall on top of them. Repeated this exercise over the next 10 min or so, chasing - throwing. Not even a bump. Eventally died down. Oh well . Even though there was very little current, the Rockies were on the chew. Limited out on a mixed bag of nice Reds, a Starry and a kicker of a Brown. Also got a surprise Spiny Dogfish that was hanging around a school of Reds. After I got my limit I stopped at the entrance around 10:50 to throw some plastic for fun. The Bass bite was wide open. They were slamming the 5" swimbait in the first 20' of the water column. I counted about 15 or 16 fish, at one point going 5 for 5, lots of fun. Sandies and Calico's with Keeps mixed in but all released healthy.
Sharky!

Decent Red

Slug Brown

Sandies and Checkers