View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslayer99 View Post
Thanks makobob, yeah definitely welded hull and galvanized trailer. I am curious about the condition of the outboard and the hull. Also, I want to make sure that the electronics and steering are still in shape. Will likely need an overhaul.
I've redesigned and rebuilt my 20' CC twice now, going on a third soon. The equipment on the aluminum would be fairly easy to fix or replace. If it has cable steering look for rust and corrosion on the cables. I doubt it would be hydraulic but if so, look for leaks at the steering hub.

As for the electronics, it is very easy to rewire the boat if necessary. Look for green corrosion on the terminals, or rusted out terminals.

Hull, should be easy to check that, it's usually open. Look for weld spots that appear to be patches. And definitely take it out first.

The engine is where the money can stack up for repairs. Is it a two or four stroke? I prefer the four strokes myself, better gas mileage and less smoke. Look for corroded areas around the head and spark plug, check the rubber hoses. And try it out.

If you're really set on the boat and see any discrepancies you can use that to possibly weasel the price down.

I rebuilt a little fourteen footer before the CC, put a through hull live well on it. It was a sweet boat.