View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #31
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
To the Pelican - Don't stop giving advice just because one person has an attitude. Others who keep quiet are listening, hopefully including the original poster on this thread. Just don't be quite so sarcastic to those who can't handle constructive advice and just ignore them. Not worth typing the extra characters.

As for Ultimatejay - "Thanks I need the help 😂😂😂
My 10 year old son catches more fish than you."

Real Mature - it's like listening to a hipster Bernie supporter talk to reactionary Trump fan - or vice-versa. No one wants to give you help since evidently your anecdotal evidence is all you need. His response was for the original poster so he could offer a different perspective than you did (a more accurate one at that).

I don't post or read the forums much anymore because frankly I don't like to fish in the zoos or elsewhere when a bite is announced, preferring to go to Baja and I no longer want to share too much about those spots. I've been kayak fishing for over 20 years and mostly was in LJ - was in the sport fishing business for 10 years prior to even getting into the Yak. There were so few of us then kayak fishing LJ that I would get lit up by Coast Guard and Police Helos to check on my safety when fishing WSB at night. They scattered the bait and blew the bite when they would turn the spot on me. For my 'bonafides' - I was the rep who brought fluoro (Seguar) and Spectra (Power Pro) aggressively into the kayak market - sponsored Spike among others. I have posted similar explanations before in the distant past, but I guess it's time again. And I am no longer associated with any product in the fishing business - so I have no invested interest in my comments, just hoping to educate others.

The Pelican is right and you are scientifically wrong about mono vs. spectra w/fluoro top shot, specifically regarding visibility. Fluoro gets bit over mono for a simple reason, it doesn't reflect and refract light like mono - some mono almost looks like an LED in certain light/water conditions. If you are using poorer quality or fluoro blended lines, that may not be as true. Spectra is opaque, not allowing any light to travel down and is usually less visible than the best mono looking from below. This is the main reason fluoro was invented - as a high density, ultra-clear, non-reflective coating for certain aircraft equipment that needed to be distortion free. They then discovered its application as a fishing line. Fluoro should also be much closer to the density of water and spectras are so much thinner than mono that the bait also acts more naturally since there is less drag. An as eluded to, the lack of stretch in Spectra does provide better sensitivity.

However, there can exist water conditions where the mono is nearly as invisible as fluoro and it's larger diameter and stretchiness might just sync up to provide a better overall presentation on a specific day. That could have been the case on the day you cited. I often like how a 6X JR sinks slower in lighter currents with the extra drag from mono, vs the faster sink rate w/Spectra. Mono is also easier to cast for some - specially w/older gear. The reason the Tranx was created was for Shimano to make it easier to cast a Surface Iron using Power Pro once they bought the company. The biggest reasons for the original resistance to Spectra w/short fluoro was the tendency for Spectra to cut off others on sport boats and fish to come unbuttoned or break off the leader when they were at shallow color. The later caused fishing equipment and techniques that didn't match - stronger drags on high speed reels, ex-fast graphite rods, and no stretch Spectra combined to eliminate any forgiveness. If a fish took a run as a swell lifted a boat - plus the anglers adrenaline kicks in at the end of the fight - 10 ft. of line would get pulled to 20 ft, and 20lbs of tension turned to 40lbs. in a few seconds - and something would have to give - usually one of the knots. But those issue don't exist on the kayak. You almost never here a talented/experienced skipper or crew claim that mono is as good or better than fluoro for visibility - but exactly the opposite.

My biggest issue w/Spectra on the yak is when using heavy Spectra and Fluoro and fishing bottom structure, if you get stuck deep, the yak just doesn't provide enough leverage to pop it free - and 100+ feet of Spectra is not something you want to leave in the ocean.
First off, you must have not read any of my posts. I never asked for any help from this Pelican guy. Secondly I never was comparing mono to flouro- I said in my experiencecan get line shy with braid and I get more bites using mono backing with flouro leader vs braid backing and flouro leader.
Thirdly, no way your getting 25 mackerel in a kayak bait tank and have them live for very long unless they are 2"- Pelican is full of shit!
Fourthly, I was just giving my personal experience- didn't say it was better or worse just stating an observation in my experience. Then this Pelican prick comes along and thinks he's gods gift to fishing telling me " No more free help".
I never asked for help and I guarantee I have caught more fish then he will ever dream of. He didn't have to say that, all he had to say is that he hasn't had issues with bites using braid in his experience and then the people reading this thread can decifer what they want to use. If you're going to be an A-hole to me, I'm going to give it back.
There's no doubt in my mind and personal experience that sometimes fish can become very picky and line shy, especially LJ with all the fishing pressure there.
There's pro and cons to both set ups. Use what you have confidence in and works for you, but don't be single minded.
Peace out.
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote