View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
LOL...

I was wondering... With your style of fishing, lots of looking out and flunking iron, xFactor hull must have felt really comfy. Do you feel you had to trade any of that stability for the pedal power you got with Hobie?
With my opportunity to use whatever Hobie craft I want, I'm able to get the best of both worlds. For the straight up sight-fishing on my knees, looking for fish that aren't even making a ripple on the surface...the stealth 14 or X-factor are perfect (so is a Hobie Outback). You don't need to paddle fast in these situations, the fish are moving less than 1 mph, and stability is priority number one...being comfortable on your knees and the ability to cast a 9'+ jig-stick as hard as you can without worrying about swimming with your cell phone . I've landed many Yellowtail on the X-factor, while not only casting on my knees, but fighting and landing them while still on my knees (more stability than you know what to do with). You will have this same type of stability with a Hobie Outback (more stability than you know what to do with). Obviously with stability you have to trade speed, and that speed is addictive when chasing fish during surface bites that don't require being on your knees (birds and visible boils)...addictive because without a doubt you will catch more of these fish if you can take advantage of quick "up and down" opportunities. The opportunity to start moving in another direction at full speed, after I just made a long cast in the wrong direction to some fish that just sank out , something that would be hard for me to give up now. A good cast with the long rod is going to be over 80 turns of the handle using a Torium 20, and even winding as fast as you can before you can put your rod in the holder, pick up that paddle, turn around and sprint to that school foaming 200 yards behind you takes precious time...and this is a game of seconds.

I'm in no way saying the pedal is the only way to go, different strokes for different folks . For someone that is interested in sight fishing the Stealth 14 is going to be hard to beat. Again, if I wasn't already addicted to the speed of the Mirage Drive, this would be my next kayak.