View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I think bungees work better than nothing in mild conditions if your kayak doesn't roll or crash. There can be a lot of force in a crashing wave.

I was hit by an unexpected wave on a rough day not long ago during landing.

My poles/gaff bundle was lashed tightly to two single piece Hobie rod extenders, front and back. I thought these would be secure lash points and they keep my bundle nicely out of the way on the right side gunwale.

The back rod extender stayed in place, while the front rod extender was pulled out and disappeared in the surf. The the bundle lashing was gone with it.

Proverbially speaking, sh*t happens.

The kayak did not roll, but it got smashed pretty hard by a wave coming down on top of me. Because of my position to the wave, I rolled off the side of the bundle into the wave and I was behind the kayak scrambling to grab everything. Thankfully, my bundle of rods were still kind of tethered together dangling off the back rod holder. Nothing broke. All I lost was the rod holder.

Lucky again

----

For lashing bundles, I discovered something that works pretty good in place of a bungee:

I took an old t-shirt and cut it into strips lengthwise, about 1-1.5" wide. The fabric automatically curls into cords that have enough stretch to hold a bundle of rods together nicely. It ties and unties easily when it's wet or dry, and simple overhand knots hold well because of the stretch tension. Because of the way it stretches to conform to the bundle, I like it better than Velcro strips that I used previously. My t-shirt strip lashing cords have proven to be multi-purpose, so I usually have a few extras in my kayak as backup to those I use for tying my gear down.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 07-01-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote