View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
isghj
Junior

Baittube painting and the hammerhead

Summary: Are there any local brightly colored poisonous fish that hammerheads won't attack?

I'm still new to kayak fishing, but got sick of not being able to keep more than one + cut bait so I made a bait tube out of ABS.

Last monday I took it out for the first time and it worked fine, only three green macs but two of them stayed happy. The large one was enemic, I think it's because the black ABS gets hot in the sun so I want to paint it white or something to keep it cooler and help me see it against the dark blue water.

Thing is, I ran into the hammerhead monday, he didn't bother my kayak but was playing with my bait tube (still had one fish when he showed up). I panicked and emptied that fish out so that he would go away for fear that he would yank hard on the baittube that I didn't think I could disconnect from my kayak fast enough, thought he could roll me out of my kayak if he's as strong as I think he is, no fishing pole or drag to help if I connect it to an eyelet.

He left after I gave up my mac, but I'm concerned about painting the tube now. There's a myth that sharks are more willing to attack white and yellow colored objects. I was curious if there's like a blue ringed octopus or something that I could mimic in color when I paint my tube, something that is still brightly colored but looks poisonous or toxic.

Heat isn't the only reason I want to paint, my drilling holes in the tube was a rough job (limited time) and too many sharp plastic burs remain that I'm having trouble sanding/filing down, I thought the paint might soften their edges as well, so that I don't rough up the fish as much.

Hammerhead was found in +150ft water north north west of the corner La jolla kelp, in case that interests anyone.

PS I didn't tell the media, there's no footage, the shark was nowhere near the beach, he didn't even bite the tube (at least he left no marks), ect
isghj is offline   Reply With Quote