View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #35
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I would have a few different interpretations on these.
Photo 1, I would agree with.
Photo 2, could be a YT, WSB or even a Sea Lion. I would go with what I caught or saw.
Photo 3, I would not guess Halibut unless you have your colorline very high. They are a demersal fish with no swim bladder and generally don't mark in hard colors (like many sharks and rays). I would guess YT or WSB.
Photo 4, By the thickness of the mark at that depth I would lean towards YT, but it could be a WSB.
Photo 5, By the depth and thickness of marks I would guess good sized Macks, Bonito or small YT.

I can show you hours of video footage on fish not biting. Almost all of it can be attributed to a sluggish or oddly moving bait.
Hey Greg, thanks for chiming in! You have a very unique perspective of sonar returns, given your awesome video vantage. Most of the time when I claim a species, it's because I was bit on those marks. But not always...

I agree on #3, i happened to get a halibut at the time, however there were lots of YT around as well so you could be correct.

#2, Looks very much like a dog. But I got crushed by a 30# yt on that mark. I actually got the gopro footage of the mark, as it was diving then the bite on video. Edit will be coming...

#4, could be yellow but a little "wormy" for me. This was on a day when all three slam species were around.

#5 agree... could be boney. But a nearby friend caught yt right after so that was the basis of my assumption. And you are correct about them being smaller grade... 15-20#s.

Greg makes a great point here. The only time you know for sure what the mark was, is when you catch off the mark. The first time you do this, and watch the fish hit your bait, you will gain a profound sense of accomplishment and confidence!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote