Thread: YT Season?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
I think this might be a legit question this year, given that the kelp beds which "anchor" the homeguards are significantly reduced.

What do the professionals/veterans think?

I was out in La Jolla this past weekend and it may have been the most quiet I've ever seen the place - just endless fields of buoys.

I spent time inside the buoy field, outside the buoy field, north of the buoys, west of the buoys, at one point I was literally about 2 miles west of the coast and almost into the South La Jolla MPA. Nothing.

The weather and water were beautiful, but there was just no active life that I could see. A little creepy, really. I didn't see any scuba chickens, sea dogs; nothing. I saw several pelican teams, but they were all formation flying somewhere further-offshore than I felt comfortable-with.

Maybe everything was just hanging out even deeper than where I was dropping lines.

It was my first legit-skunk (couldn't even make bait) in a LONG time.
I got a really good workout from the mileage I covered though.

Im not an expert, but I was also out this past weekend. Didn't fish la jolla but just around the corner. I was drifting around for halibut (or trying to) and water movement was just piss poor. I was stoked when it got windy in the afternoon because for the first half of the day with no wind and no tide, it just wasn't happening. I have noticed some of my best days at la jolla are when that south current is just ripping you down faster than you can keep up. The fish like the strong water movement.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote