View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
5-20

Upgrading to a Pedal: Outback or PA14

I've fished out of a XFactor since last June and I'm starting to think that it's time to think about going to a pedal yak for a few different reasons.

At the fred hall show a couple of weeks ago, I sat in the Outback, PA12 and 14. The PA14 felt massive and I couldn't believe how easy it was to stand up with the new seat that has those armrests. That's a huge plus for me. I'm thinking I could spend a lot more time out on the water if I could stand up, stretch, etx... sitting for more than 6-8 hours takes too much of a toll on me especially with my crappy (but expensive) seat that keeps on slipping out of position! I'd love to stand up, throw irons, etx... etx... And yeah, after I got out of the PA14 and sat in the Outback, that yak felt pretty small and cramped!

The outback has that new seat. I'm not really sure how much of a difference that'd make out on the water. The way the floor's molded, standing up isn't as comfortable as it is in the PA14, at least that's how it felt at fred hall.

I guess it's obvious which way I'm leaning.

But I'm looking for some more "on the water" thoughts from you guys that have experience with both yaks. Is there any reason I might want to go with the Outback over the PA14?

Some more thoughts: I would think I'll fish out of La Jolla most of the time and SD Bay/MB every now and then. I have a G1 Tundra (the small one) with a bed extender and I'll probably use that for a while to transport the Hobie. I may eventually get a trailer later on if I do get the PA14, but I think I should be ok with loading it into the back of my truck.

I'll definitely demo both models before buying, but will definitely appreciate any thoughts about one or the other yak from you guys. Thanks.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote