View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
So it looks like I wont have my kayak in the garage this weekend. The parts have not come in yet and the shop still has to install them. I have the paddle hanging in my office until I can actually use it. I did want to ask what people would recommend for clothing. I seen some stuff online from Hobie and a few others. But was wondering what you guys wear this time of year. As it gets warmer the easier it will be to dress. But I want to start fishing the second my ribs can take it. I am also hunting for tackle like rods and reels. I really want to target Halibut, White Sea Bass, Yellow Tail, Calico Bass. I must say allot has changed since last I fished. Almost 20 years ago. I used to have a ton of gear but gave it away to friends here and there over the years. I got allot to learn and even more $$$ to spend. The warden is already in my ear and I not even close to being ready.
Hey man, welcome to the show...you're gonna love this sh!t.
I come from a motoX background, I still ride a good bit but not like I use to. I use to practice atleast once a week and race every weekend. I've broken many bones...after breaking my wrists six times between the two I finally decided to back it down a couple of notches. I bought a kayak and even a sideXside to compliment my crf450 for off-road. Anyhoo...as far as gear / tackle goes; you've started out with the baddest kayak on the water, (I ride a PA 14) I'd suggest you try and start out with gear in the middle to upper range as far as quality goes. I've found that if you don't you will just throw good money after bad re-buying sh!t atleast twice. Also, not to sound like a follower or anything but you'll be around guys with all the badass sh!t and gear envy sucks...plus, when you do get skunked and you have Walmart gear the first thing you'll think is; "I would have killed it if I had better gear." (not true at all but that's still what you'll think).
To get a little specific gear wise; I really like fishing 'light', I always have. I don't find it all that fun to winch fish in, meaning I would never take 20# gear out to target and catch 3# fish. In fact, I'll usually haul out 15# gear to target the 25# class. I really like the Shimano Teramar series rods and the Daiwa Lexa and Daiwa Luna reels. You're gonna get a lot of help from people here on this site...you have definitely found the right place. Good luck...see ya on the water someday!

Last edited by BrokeLoser; 01-01-2014 at 09:40 AM.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote