Thread: 6/05 AM
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #51
cioppino

4) Ciopino- what is the "legal distance" of a chum line? Since chum drifts and spreads, where is the line drawn? (from a practical standpoint, it is just outside iron tossing range.) It is their strategy and free choice to dump bait into the water as chum. It is not their right to declare a no fishing zone. Common courtesy dictates I give them some working room, but not the whole ocean behind their boat. (I've had them yell at me when I was a good 150 feet off their stern, passing thru)

Iron tossing distance is not going to cut it when it comes to someones chum slick.

You cant cast an iron as far as you can soak a bait. Look at the way the boat is sitting, try and see where the current is taking their lines, and assume there are a few guys on the boat who actually know how to fish. Those few will have a bait up to a hundred yards out, maybe more.

An easy way to figure it out is if you are fishing and soaking a bait how close do you want someone fishing off your stern catching what could be your fish?

Have fun and be safe out there.
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote