Thread: Hobie Defectors
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #22
forefrazier

I tried....really, I did!

I must be the minority...After demoing both the Revo and Adventure (twice each) here is what I have found:

Both mirage drives were set to slot 7 (furthest out) to give me the most room available.

Revo: when reaching full stride (bottom of pedal stroke) my knees are still quite bent and can't get a nice full stride like a bicycle. When trying to make a fuller stride, mirage drive "bottoms out".

Adventure: More room (length) in the cockpit. Legs can get a full stride. At bottom of stride, heels hit the molded foot well on both sides with each revolution of the pedals. (Damn size 14 feet) Tried moving feet up higher on the pedals. Only way to get my heels to clear the foot wells was to position my arches on the middle of the pedal. Try this for 30min or so next time you are out and your feet will agree that this is not ideal.

1 Mile Time: Since the Adventure is considered the fastest yak in the fleet, I took it from point A to point B (about a mile) and reached the destination in approx. 19min. This was with a very consistent and relaxed cadence similar to what I thought I would be comfortable all day long while fishing.
Made the same trip with an OK Trident 15, again with a very relaxed and consistent paddle stroke, and what do you know......19 min!

Can't say anything bad about the Hobie's (other than I don't fit too well). For now, I am going to stick with the paddle as I just picked up a new yak ('08 Tarpon 160i) at a great price. (Thanks again, Dave!)
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote