View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
blitzburgh

What's prehistoric, red all over and goes "ba-a-a-a-a-a"?

Got my last day of Rockfish in on Tuesday. Mid-day lazy launch to near-zero wind and grease conditions. Straight up t-shirt weather on the water with the snow-capped mountains in the background was rad. Started pecking around my normal stops and one of my go-to holes was en fuego. Started the day with a good sized Starry.

Proceeded to pull two solid Sheepies after this, sorry no OTW pics. I then got that quick thud to my bait followed by no movement. Could it be ? Put slight pessure on it and felt some good weight. Made sure the hook was set and the battle ensued. Several runs and a good 4 to 5 minutes later, I land my personal best Ling! Taped out at 35" at home, no weight sorry.

That fish was a STUD. Worked me good. Dropped back down for another Sheepie...and then ANOTHER Ling! Not quite as large but still taped out at 27". There was a school of what I was sure were Reds buzzing in and out of the spot I was working. These guys in Newport are notorious for moving quickly. The first few times I ran over them I couldn't drop down quick enough. The next time however, I was already down.

Solid Red, taped out at a hair over 20". Finished the day with a nice Treefish and headed in. Nice 3 hour session.

Happy New Year all!!!