View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #19
Fishin' Magician

Damn, you were very lucky that there were boaters nearby! Wow, quite a story.

I had a similar experience in a float tube out on Lake Crowley on Opening Day 10 years or so ago. Water temp was very cold, just after ice-out. Air temp was below freezing. But it was Opening Day of fishing season and we were itching to get out on the water.

It was nice and calm in the pre-dawn hours with ice still on the edges of the lake. Caught a few fish early. Winds suddenly came up later in the day, and all boats got off the water (small craft advisory). I found myself almost entirely alone with just my brother in law who was in his float tube a couple of hundred yards away, too far away to be of any assistance as he'd have to kick straight into the teeth of the wind to reach me.

My tube started losing air first in one of the chambers, and then in the other. Started to slowly sink and was totally at the mercy of the wind and the wind waves that were almost 3' high. Was being carried into the middle of the lake by the high wind. After what seemed like an eternity and with an incredible amount of effort was finally able to kick back to water shallow enough to stand up. I was totally and completely exhausted and doubt that I could have lasted another 10 minutes. Turned out that the seals on the inside of the both chambers had rotted after having been stored in the rafters in the garage all that winter. They held air just fine at home, but I should have checked them better before heading on the trip. My fault entirely and I almost paid a very heavy price indeed for being so complacent about it.

A harrowing experience and one that I will never forget. I now ride a kayak instead. But it just goes to show that emergency situations do and will come up at any time. BE PREPARED!