View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by out of reach View Post
I think Guam might happen, looking into the details now, wanted to go there anyway. Do you have any specific info on the place, or any recomendations?
I was there from 1988 to 1990. Never fished from a yak there but caught dorado and YFT from a 6 pac. There is no problem with launching because the Island is surrounded by a reef. Once past the reef (about 1/4 mile from shore)you are in DEEP water. That is where you will find dodo, tuna, marlin, wahoo, great barracuda etc. The Marianas trench(sp?) is there. I think that the trade winds always blow, so you need to stick close to the reef. I would definately invest in an epirb! A spare radio too just in case and lots of drinking water! I have done some surf fishing at Andersons AFB early in the morning and would catch fish that I could not identify. I caught grouper from the shore too. There are alot of little markets where I bought shrimp to use for bait. By casting a small kastmaster, I caught plenty of jacks.
I think it would be an awesome place to yak fish. I don't recommend just going for it though. Learn the winds, currents etc first. I would also suggest you leave a plan to where you are going to be and when you are to return.
ski is offline   Reply With Quote