Thread: Our Dads
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #17
C.W.C.
Salt

SILVER & GOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
After reading Zeds post about his dad fishing on another thread I got to thinking about my own dad and fishing.
My dad who was never a true fisherman himself introduced me to fishing when I was about 5. He used to take me to a pond near my house in Pennsylvania to fish for Sunnys armed with a little Zebco and a bobber. My dad taught me how to set the hook when I got a nibble but I used to jerk the rod too hard and sometimes ripped the lips right off of the fish.
I still smile when I think of the day I saw him fall in the smelly pond water. I laughed, he didn't.
At 8 years old, I remember like it was yesterday the feeling of how proud my dad was of me as he watched me reel in my first and definitely legal Flounder while fishing from a dock on a bay in New Jersey.
When I was older and living in Michigan I took my dad ice fishing for his first time. We took my snowmobiles out to my favorite spot on the lake. My dad said that he would cut the holes in the ice while I set everything else up. I gave him my chainsaw and he cut a good sized hole. He then tried to push the ice cork down under the ice with the blade of the saw. I had my back turned to him when I clearly heard the sound of my running chainsaw disappear through the hole after he dropped it. We unsuccessfully tried to fish the same hole for the rest of the day.
He laughed, I didn't.
I have great and funny memories of of fishing with my dad.
I would love to introduce him to fishing from a kayak in La Jolla but my pop is now 83 years old and lives across the country so it will never happen.
Our fishing days are sadly over.
Nothing but great fishing memories!
Figures a fellow "Silver Basser" who has grown up & fished around almost all the same ports as I, would put up this great thread!
Of course, my most fondest memories from my childhood were all centered around fishing with my Dad & Grandpa!
It first started around two and change hand-lining for Panfish off the banks in the spring & ice fishing the holes in the winter..
I have been trying to put together a fishing timeline from age 2 till now, from over the last few years digging through the archives..I need to do some more scanning from the old shoe boxes on the next trip to Canada..
Start 'em young!

Rigged up & ready for the day with my Dad...

1st 'reel' casting reel.. Skipped the 202.

CBad also knows all about the Silvers!

Castin' the canals in Florida...

Heres Part 2 from "Stand By Me". A typical beach lunch with the gang..
Grillin' up some fresh Pickeral (Walleye if I was in the States) with the homies on my beach back in Canada.

The Bowl-Cut Chef aka Wade in the middle..

Learning a few new rigs with my Grandfather & Dad at my fishing lodge #2 in Canada.

Fishin' the Rocks..

Learnin' proper butchering techniques from my Grandfather.
Do NOT waste a single catfish scrap around this man..

Grandpa teachin' me the ropes..

Early Submersion Program..

The ol' lake is currently around 95% frozen right now I am told by my neighbors..

Deep in Mexico with my grandfather showing me some of his ol' stomping grounds while I catch some quality family time in the fighting chair..

TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!!

Last edited by C.W.C.; 02-27-2015 at 09:42 AM.
C.W.C. is offline   Reply With Quote