Thread: Our Dads
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #18
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Pleazzzzze, stop with the onions...

Yes, it was my dad that got me addicted. He was a commercial fisherman (retired now) and had a passion for fish and fishing. He would go out to sea to work and me, my mom, brother and sister would see him off downtown at the waterfront in San Diego. Then we would all pile up in the station wagon and haul @$$ to Shelter Island and wave to his boat as they would go by on their way out of Pt. Loma. He would always be at the bow waiting for us and wave to us with those big rough, brown and beautiful hands of his. I love that man like no other...

When he would come home after months out at sea, guess what he would want to do when he first got home (of course with a detour to see to mom and some alone time...), he would take MY BROTHER fishing. I begged and pleaded, I want to go, I want to go! He would refuse me because I am A GIRL, and they do not fish. Well.... I wore him out and he finally took me with them. I WAS ABSOLUTELY HOOKED. And to tell you the truth, the best part was just being with him and my bro doing something that brought us all so much joy.

My father has to this day, never stopped taking me fishing. We still go. For me, because of him, I have one of the greatest passions of my life. He is my best friend and my BEST fishing partner. As I watch him slow down, it hurts sometimes to see the amazingly handsome, strong, warm man wind down. We have a trip planned for next January. We are going steelhead fishing in Oregon. I will drive us there and while he will not be able to walk the miles we used to, we will both sit down, with a huge fire, good strong coffee and fish from our chairs. And have the time of our lives.

I will not forgive him however, for the one time when I was about 3. We were in the Sierra for trout. He gave me my own rod and reel, a Snoopy outfit. At the end of the line was a big red plastic fish. When I was old enough to realize that no matter how hard I tried, I was NEVER going to catch anything with that plastic fish at the end of my rod. Dad how could you?! Love you pop.

J