View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #42
taggermike

No one heads out for a kayak trip expecting to go through what you did. It can sure happen though. You weren't alone, you had the re-entry gear, and you knew how to use it. Well done. The way the auto-inflating PFD was up around your head would have kept you breathing it you were unconscious but it looked like a serious impediment to reentering your kayak. Is it common to have to take waders off to get back on a kayak? If it had been February that would suck. And be kinda dangerous too.

Maybe they already have, but if not Hobie might want to make a serious video on how to get back on to a PA. I've given kayak tours and paddling lessons and done hundreds of demonstrations on righting and reentering a kayak. For an old guy I'm fairly strong and nimble but going over the side of a PA looks a bit tough. The PAs have that rail that makes them higher and could possibly catch on PFD straps or belts and leave you stuck half in and half out. My 2 cents would be to maybe climb over the bow. Bows tent to be narrower and you don't have to work through a bunch of rods and other gear. Grab the bow handle, push down with your body weight, if you can sink the bow enough to get your legs on either side you can hug the boat and climb back on.

Thanks for the video. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote