Thread: Malibu
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman4454 View Post
Try leo Carrillo and county line. Both pretty mellow launches and good fishing. The cuda have been in pretty thick, sand bass and calicos are always around too

Actually County Line is probably the most dangerous launch spot commonly fished in Malibu. Used to be a group of "locals" would tell every Newbie they met that the fish were biting at County Line. They'd then go and take pictures of them when they wiped out in the surf and got hurt or lost their gear.

In general Leo and County line get bigger surf and are better for more advanced kayakers, while the easier launches are on the lee side of the point east of point Dume, Esco, Corral Canyon, and Malibu Pier.

I use magic seaweed to check surf conditions.
http://magicseaweed.com/County-Line-...rf-Report/277/

http://magicseaweed.com/Malibu-First...rf-Report/279/

Right now County Line is good do to the South swell but next week it's probably going to get a little brutal. Generally any time it lists surf over three feet it's not worth going unless you know what your doing, and I'd say that for all the launches, with the exception is Malibu pier which is almost always do-able.

County Line and Leo can be epic for Seabass and can always produce quality Rockfish, and some big butts. Esco is still good but keep in mind BKR the reef west of Paradise Cove is now in a reserve. Corral is good for Halibut and can be Epic for Tsharks, Malibu Pier is probably the most underrated Halibut fishing in So Cal. I've seen more Halibut over forty pounds taken between the Pier and the Pepperdine spike than anywhere else in California.

Watch out for the "locals only" crowd. 90% of the people that you meet there will be amazingly cool, but there are a few really whacked individuals that fish there. In general if you post reports about fishing Malibu it's best to leave out the location, otherwise you'll be hunted down by the "We own Malibu's Ocean" nutcase crowd.

Ooooopsss..... Now I've gone and said too much. Surely someones going to have to vandalize my car for posting all that secret info.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote