View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
onetriphudson

Invisible Rocks and Giant Lizards

After studying some maps, I got curious about the rock piles that were supposed to be just outside Oceanside harbor (Reef #2), so I packed up my gear and went for a midday session.

The Oceanside bait barge closed at 11am but I was able to buy squid at the snack shop. I pedaled outside the harbor and the wind and swell were calm, water temp high 60’s. Heading NW, I hooked up with 5 greenbacks on a trolled sabiki in about 35ft. After sorting out that mess I continued on.

I was hoping to see lobster buoys marking the rock piles but realized I’d have to plot the coordinates because there weren't any visible. Once I had all the waypoints in, I aimed for the nearest pile but I couldn't spot any noticeable structure on the sonar. It all looked flat but I fished it anyway. The depth was about 55ft and the current was not moving much. I fished squid strips and on another rig a live mack. Repeated this on all four spots in 50 to 60 foot middle row for nada.

Pedaled to the outer row of deeper rock piles hoping to find the promised structure or some rockfish but only caught a couple huge lizards. Feeling confused why I couldn't see any structure I just drifted from there and eventually caught a shortie halibut on a squid strip. This fish was super calm and didn't seem to mind being handled by me. I pulled a parasite off his tail and let him go. Kept drifting hoping for another but then considered my options.

Thought I'd try the inside row of rock piles. These were in about 40ft of water and not far away. Ended up catching another greenback and sent it down hoping for a big flattie. Again, couldn't spot any structure or fish marks. Wind and swell started to come up, temperature started to drop. Decided to call it a day and work my way in. Soon I was home eating corn dogs and watching Disney movies with the little ones.

Anyone else fish this area?
Attached Images

Last edited by onetriphudson; 11-30-2015 at 12:02 PM.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote