View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
spicolly

I have tried to fish there a few times. About 2 - 3 months ago, the only action I got was catching two bonito, which ended up attracting Mr. HH. He wouldn't leave me alone until I got back to the mouth of the harbor (1/2 mile follow?). I never made it to the reef and headed in because I was nervous being alone with the HH. That was a first and I learned a lot...it was entertaining for the people on the sportboat to watch the HH bump and follow me...they were jumping up and down, and pointing with excitement.

I was out there a few weeks back and bought some small chovies from the barge. I pedaled outside the Harbor and there were no yakkers, so I headed south this time towards the pier, flylining a chovie on a #4 Mosiquito hook and my F/W bass gear on the way south. Picked up a 11" mac and saved him...never ended up using it and let it go.

As I pedaled towards the pier, the bottom continued to be flat. Decided to head west and still flat. I headed back to the harbor to see if I could drift and perhaps catch a halibut using chovies and a CR. To my amazement, I caught a ton of small barracuda (I found that fascinating) and spotties using a CR on the bottom...of course it was shallow. Fun fishing on light gear!

After fishing nothing but LJ, it's been fun fishing North County - I have lots to learn about the area and need more time on the water. I agree with Curtis, let's get a group of guys together. The cool thing I have discovered about launching from the Harbor is it's an easy launch using the guest slips (near police station) when bigger swells are present at the beach.
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote