Thread: reel set up
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I read a lot of reels being spooled with spectra and it also being a must when searching for that trophy YT. Could you guys give me suggestions on which, if any of my reels would work as a YT Spectra and a top shot set up. I have a load of other reels but I line those up for Bass.

1. Trindad 30
2. TLD 15/30
3. Daiwa Sealine 30
4. Daiwa Sealine 20
5. jigmaster

I also have a Shimano 30 2 speed for boating what should I put on that? Feel welcome to recommend a specific reel too.

Thanks
They are good for spectra used different ways.

Trindad 30: I would fill that reel with 65 Power pro Spectra and then run short topshots of 40 and 50 pound with it. You don't need fifty on a yak but you could put it on for larger fish on a sport boat. That reel is really overkill size wise as it holds way more spectra then you need. If I'm going to go Shimano in that size class I prefer the Torium 20's as they cheaper and are narrower.

The advantage with that reel is unlike the others it really has enough drag to fish forty, or even fifty with a light drag.

I'm serious I once landed a 90 pound YFT on one of those reels fishing 65 spectra and 50 fuoro and it never missed a beat. If I was going to fish with one at La Jolla I'd use it reel for dropper loop fishing with a forty topshot. Or heavy Iron if they wanted really big jigs.

TLD 15/30: again 65 spectra but this time 30 to 40 lbs topshots. Less drag casts better then your trini... Ideal for Iron with a thirty topshot.

Daiwa Sealine 30: 30 or 40 pound spectra 25 lbs topshot. Even less drag ability, good for light Iron where your fishing away from the kelp. It will outcast the TLD but does not have enough drag to really fish thirty.

Daiwa Sealine 20: 20 spectra, 20 lbs or fifteen pound topshot. Ideal halibut reel, but it's a little small for Yellows if you're near the kelp. You can flyline baits in open water and kill yellows with it when they are line shy. I've actually caught more yellows on that reel rigged that way then any reel I own, that said most of those fish were in open water way away from the kelp. Fish it near the kelp though and you'll eventually be heart broken as it's too small to keep them in control.

It's kind of would I rather get bit, or loose the fish routine. In open water it's worth a shot, tight to the kelp iffy.

All those reels will work for flyline but you want to fish according to what the fish will bite and where your at.

In general you want to use the heaviest rig they will hit. Keep in mind you can hook fish with lighter gear when they won't hit heavier gear, but you don't want to be fishing near the kelp when you do it. Yellowtail are brilliant when it comes to putting you on structure and breaking you off. They will run into the kelp or literally rub the bottom to hook you up on rocks.

Once years ago hooked a huge yellow offshore under lights on a sportboat about 3:00am. Me and the Captain were just hanging on the deck. I saw him come through several times and kept soaking baits on lighter and lighter line, I finally got him to eat fifteen pound. No structure or kelp for miles, no other lines in the water, the captain's right there with me ready to gaff the fish if I got it close, 1000's of feet of water before the bottom below me: I'm thinking done deal my first fifty Yellow and I'm going to get him even on the light string.

He swam around the boat a few times, stopped and did a few head shakes and then swam right into the prop

Jigmaster... (ebay, yard sale)

Good rule of thumb always fish a reel that costs more then your line when it comes to spectra.

Just my take.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-15-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote