View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Vikingj

Great story- thanks for reporting. I could really share in your excitement after catching a T-shark at the same place 1 1/2 weeks ago. They are totally awesome creatures to watch and delicious to eat!
I'm by no means an expert but I've learned a few things. Don't try to handle a "green fish" that still has some spunk! Wear the fish out and then slap at it with the paddle to have it make another run and get even more tuckered. When it's thoroughly worn out bring it alongside the yak and lasso its tail with a rope (in case it breaks off your leader). If you decide not to C&R and you can reach its head, cut its gills deeply to cause it to bleed out. If its foul hooked and you can't reach its head, cut under the base of the tail all the way into the backbone to reach the blood vessels to bleed out. After it has weakened from the bleeding place it on your gill clip and load it on your yak or drag it home. I would not try to gaff it or beat it with a baseball bat as I have seen others do. Of course if you are a crazy Greek like Yani you can gut it, cut off its tail and head, throw the body in the back of your yak and continue fishing. Good luck.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote