View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Saturday 7/28 Morning after Blood Moon...More like Bloody Kayak

To tell you the truth I haven't had the best luck fishing the morning after a grunion run, and I never have fished just after a blood moon so I had no idea the way the fish were going to be biting last Saturday. I was hopeful however that things were about to heat up and I wanted to be there when It did.

I was out early and almost immediately started seeing huge bait balls on the FF, so I dropped the sabiki rig out and was only getting grunion, not the usual assorted mackerel. I wanted to hang out to see If I could get some better bait but decided to get into some deeper waters so I would be ready when the bite began. As I was heading out there I was using the flat falls and it seemed every cast produced medium-large size green back mackerel, so I fly lined the smallest one I could find, but it still took a 4/0 Circle Hook for the size of bait I was finding.

I looked off shore and saw a mess of birds like I haven't seen in some time, working about 3/4 of a Mile out, just West of the Bend, so I put the pedal to the roto-molded plastic of my Revo 13 and before I even made It to the birds zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. He went for a long run before letting up, took out 3/4 of my line and then after that slowly started to wear himself out.

I will remember this one for a log time. Thanks to my new friend : Summers in Kuwait" for the pics, he also got the fish of the day on Saturday, a monster WSB, maybe fish of the month.
Attached Images

Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote