View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #49
StickyFish
Junior

I remember my first flip on my Hobie Outback. It was my 3rd or 4th time out in the SD Bay and I got cocky. It was a calm/hot day and I decided to remove my life vest as there was obviously no danger... A few casts later I hooked into a decent spotty. I got her to the side of the yak and tried to reach back behind me to lip her and next thing all I see is green. Luckily I held onto my rod through this and was able to grab my yak and kick to an anchored sail boat. I ended up using their rope ladder as leverage to flip my yak back over. Through this whole process that spotty was still on my line. Fortunately I leashed all my rods, unfortunately my backpack and tackle worked it's way out of the buggy cords and I lost all of it. Lessoned learned, never remove that life vest. If that sail boat wasn't so close I could have been in a real bad situation. The other lesson I learned was to minimize what I bring. I lost a ton of tackle that I was never planning to use in the bay but since it was all in one box it was all lost. The second you take the ocean for granted is the second she kicks you in the ass. I hope you're able to get back out there soon, it truly is a live and learn based hobby.
StickyFish is offline   Reply With Quote