Thread: Eastern Sierras
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #13
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
October is going to be very cold. In the teens overnight. Pack accordingly. Plan to cut your own wood and go to big springs to camp. It's free and a bit secluded. It is 9 miles past mammoth turn off take a right on Owens valley road and take first paved left into big spring campground as far as fishing goes if your by yourself fish the streams between silver lake and grant lake. Otherwise fish silver lake. It's stocked more than the others. Hot creek is closed but there are hot springs still open in that general area. If you go out the road with the pool. Just south of airport the hot springs are easily accessible. Just look for cars or well traveled roads. Go to Bodie that is a cool place to check out. Maybe go fish a lake or two near Bridgeport. So many things to do and places to see in mammoth area. But be warned I was there in the beginning of October camping and it was really cold. Ground frozen in the am cold.
Hot creek is open year around for fishing. The water levels are very pour but the weeds could be gone by then. If the fall run is going Big Springs will hold fish. Run a prince nymph with a dropper egg for fly fishing. All the feeders will hit that set up hard. Get up above Benton Crossing. The cut throat runs were unreal the last 2 years. 16"-24" hogs. This was all the same trip. The temps were 82 the first day, when I caught that 22" bow, down to 30 in the snow squalls 2 days later where I was hooking the cuts...and this was September. I get about 10-15 days a year up there. My background is flyfishing. My dad is a flyfishing guide and is unreal. I ride his coat tails now for 30+ years of hooking serious trout. Im now obsessed with bigger fish on the ocean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6421.jpg (75.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6440.jpg (70.9 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6503.jpg (69.6 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by 2-Stix; 08-19-2015 at 01:10 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote