View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatterasCast View Post
My fishing background is primarily east coast.... Cape Hatteras North Carolina to be exact.

The rods im using are probably similar to the surf rods mentioned in the post above. General rule of thumb for distance casting (at "the point", you need 100-150yd casts every time if you want to catch the big drums or stripers) extend your arm straight out to your side at shoulder level. Take the butt of your rod and put it into your arm pit. Where your "reel hand" is now holding onto the cork is where you should place your reel.

I use this same method when setting up my rods for throwing iron. It might look a little different then everyone else. But if you really know how to fling the iron and utilize a solid distance casting technique (i.e. Hatteras Cast ect.) It'll feel really comfortable when you push with your "reel hand" and pull with your "cork hand" into the butt of your arm pit.

Trust me it works wonders for distance. Proof is in these pics...
I'd like to see some of your techniques from the east coast. did you bring your rods with you? I'm throwing 6oz and half macks 80-90yrds with 30lb mono on a custom 13ft CUI rod and Abu Big Game 9000CT and also just perfected a long clip down rig with 90lb wire that im able to consistently hit 100yrds with 3oz and a whole squid with 20lb mono on a custom Rainshadow SU1386f and Daiwa sealine-X 30sha both using the hateras cast.