View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #24
FISH11

After having learned all about how to choose the kayaks (for surf launching and LJ) in the post here on BWE in early 2013, about starting in the bays, how to rig it for catching Yellowtail. Since finding all this info and then getting to put it into use and build on that from all the time on the water. I found used early model Malibu X Factor at Fast Lane with all but a bait tank, so I built one. Loved the super stability and storage space, caught a lot of Yellow on it after 5 or 6 month of getting to know exactly what fishing line to use, knot to tie and hook to use. After 3 years I started using a Jackson Cuda 14 and sold it after using it and catching Yellows on it for 8 months (it never had anything close to the stability and for going over or incoming the surf at LJ as the Malibu X Factor. I June of 2016 I got a Hobie Revo 13 and I sold the older Malibu and have enjoyed the Mirage drive and landed Yellows, etc. on it but can't master how to get it to respond in the surf like my 2016 Malibu X Factor 14.4 . I November 2016 I bought slightly used 2016 Malibu X Factor because I found a super deal and had all the gear to set it up already. I enjoy using it also. What the bottom line is, is that all good kayaks that can handle the Surf and distances at LJ are both fun, wether it's Mirage Drive or Paddle. I can choose which, to take based on weather reports for size of surf , wind speeds and currents. If you visit this site and read a lot posts, then there isn't too much you couldn't have learned. Also watched Jim Sammons youtube videos on how to launch and land in the surf. I almost exclusively fish in LJ for Yellowtail. I LOVE BWE!

Last edited by FISH11; 07-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote