View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
John, How different is the Calstar 540 from the Sabre 540?
Just thought I'd throw out a little FYI:
The chief rod designer and founder of Sabre Rods was Leon Todd (he designed all the mandrels the rods are based on). He sold the Company back in the early '80's/or late 70's (sometime around then). He stayed on for awhile but was disturbed by the cost cutting measures the new company was doing (thinner blanks, cheaper components, spacing the guides farther so not as many on a rod, etc.)
After some proding from of his loyal long range anglers and many tackle shop owners he started Calstar (ie. Tackle Specialties) where he began producing rods based on the same proven mandrel designs that made the old Sabre "Strokers" famous among long range fisherman. At first he just made blanks since he had no ability to ramp up production from the start. These blanks he sold to tackle shops so they could custom wrap "shop rods" and special orders. After just a couple of years he was producing in a quantity that could support a "Full run product line".
I got to know him personally when I worked for Art's Tackle in Gardena (He built the Hypolon handle/reel seat sections of all my Long Range Rods).
He was always willing to answer any a question about his rods/production and compare to the others on the market (I learned alot from him and Yo Yoshida [R.I.P.]). Alot of what I know about rods came from these two generous gentlemen.
I believe (just my personal opinion) Calstar makes the best rod out there. About 80% of all my Saltwater gear is Calstar along with a few Trulines and 1 Seeker (SJ 85).
Don't misunderstand there are a few other good rods out there such as Seeker (probably a close second to Calstar in quality and variety). But "my" preference are for the Calstars.
Just my two cents.
Thanks for tolerating,
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote