View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
BillzBaitz

Alberto and 6'-8' of 20# or 25# flouro..

I have been on a couple of these trips this year and that has been the go to if you are fishing braid. If you are fishing mono they dont seem to mind the straight 20# mono.. Most of the bait is chovy so we have been using a size 4 hook sometimes even a size 6. Guys are going to tel you thats too small... or oh you can use a size 1 or 1/0 and you know what you can... But you wont get bit as much as the guy using the smaller hooks.. Just keep in mind that you cant horse them in when you use a smaller hook.. I went 9 for 11, capt went 12 for 13, and a buddy went 10 for 10.. all using the small hooks. people asked us what we were using and the gib difference was the smaller hook..

If you happen to get on a boat that has sardines then I would bump it up to a size 1 or 1/0..

Dont forget rubber core sinkers.. And dont be affraid to fish the mega bait on the slide or if the fish are being marked 100-150' down.. I actually marked off 100 and 150 feet with a sparpie on my braid(white power pro #65) this way I could judge where my jig was in the water column.
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote