View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Are you talking about San Diego Bay or out in the ocean?

My main line remains at 65# Power Pro braid. In SD Bay I use 25# leader. In the ocean I use 40#. I like the quality of Blackwater Shock Leader.

If I'm using a light rig in shallow water, I lean toward a Carolina rig with a 2oz sliding egg weight. Over 40' or in stronger currents, I use a 3-way. For 3-ways, I make a comfortable length leader for my 7' pole so I can hook my hook near the reel and not pull the 3-way swivel into the top eye at the end of my pole. That usually starts around 4'-5' and shortens down to 3'-4' as I change hooks or other tackle at the terminal end. My weight hangs off a surgeons loop for easy weight changes, and easy weight removal when my pole is stowed. It's usually 8-12" in length from the 3-way, and I use leftover 15# mono for my weight line so it's easier to break off if it gets stuck. I tend to use 6-8oz torpedos in the ocean, depending on current. If I'm dragging the bottom over 125' or in a strong current, I might go higher to keep my weight easily on the bottom, maybe 16oz

Personally, I don't think the ratio of lengths of leader vs weight line matter as much as freedom of movement on the leader and keeping the weight dragging on the bottom.

In the ocean, I prefer the biggest mackerels I can get. In the bay I would prefer using anchovies from the bait barge over artificials. I carry some other things as backup if I can't get live bait.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it's typical for me kayak fishing around San Diego.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-27-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote