View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #15
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
When you say "Aji" do you mean Ahi?

If not, then disregard my post. I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know if Aji means mackerel. Dumb Me.

If so, I think you might be confusing Ahi with the wrong species. Ahi is generally Yellowfin tuna. It might also be Big Eye tuna, but I'm not so sure about that. Last summer we were blessed with Bluefin tuna coming into the LJ fishing area. Bluefin might be higher on the list for Ahi aficionados, and it may have a different Japanese name in the sushi world.

Yellowtail (subject of this thread) is Hamachi. Hamachi sashimi is good too, but it's not as popular as Ahi. Next time you are hanging out in a Japanese restaurant ask if they have Hamachi Kama -- Yellowtail collars. They can be wonderful, washed down with a large bottle of ice cold Sapporo. Oh yeah.

The last guy who prepared Hamachi Kama for me was in Hillcrest at "Sushi Deli 1." He popped them in the deep fryer for a few minutes. It made the meat inside wonderfully fluffy white and perfect. There is plenty of meat on yellowtail collars. I tried Hamachi Kama at another Japanese Izakaya place in Convoy. It was grilled in a way that made it greasy. Not nearly as good.

Now I'm confused :P
It's aji. ...my wife is Japanese born and raised...i love japanese food
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote