View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

What is the meaning of "pelagic"?

I see this word used ad nauseam in fishing regulations. When I look up the scientific definition, it becomes difficult for me to understand exactly where I am allowed to fish, for which species.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/pelagic.html

Specifically, what fish are permitted and not permitted locally in San Diego under this wording:
  • Recreational Fishing:
    • Allowed Species: Coastal pelagic species, except market squid, by hook-and-line only.
    • Prohibited Species: All other living marine resources EXCEPT those listed above.
Then I read this:
  • Definitions:
    • Coastal pelagic species means any of the following: northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax), Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax), Pacific mackerel (Scomber japonicus), jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus), and market squid (Loligo opalescens).
Is this defined list of fish a partial subset of "coastal pelagic species" or is it an exclusive and complete redefinition for the purpose of those listed fish only, ... meaning that catching any other "coastal pelagic species" that are not specifically defined here as a "coastal pelagic species" a violation of regulations and punishable by law?

"Pelagic fish can be categorized as coastal and oceanic fish, based on the depth of the water they inhabit. Coastal pelagic fish inhabit sunlit waters up to about 655 feet deep, typically above the continental shelf. Examples of species include forage fish such as anchovies, sardines, shad, and menhaden and the predatory fish that feed on them."

Halibut are predatory and feed on anchovies, sardines, ...etc.

Are Halibut a coastal pelagic species? WSB? Yellowtail?

Or are we simply talking about bait balls, more or less, excluding squid?

[Depends on what the meaning of "is" is.]

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-29-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote